Can You Install Luxury Vinyl Plank Over Tile – All the equipment and steps you need to install vinyl flooring over old tile for a temporary fix.
Favorite project! Well, I’d say maybe about 50% of every project we do here, but it’s definitely up there on the charts for the most conversions for the least amount of money.
Can You Install Luxury Vinyl Plank Over Tile
If you’ve been following our bathroom update, Robert and I painted the walls, trim, and cabinetry until last weekend. But the ceramic tile floor still looked like this:
Does Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring Require Underlayment?
Although we previously salvaged the ceramic tiles in the kitchen and entryway bathroom with a grout pen, this floor seems to have come off a bit. Since we’re sticking with the existing countertop and shower (before a real gut/renovation is down the road), I wanted a floor that would modernize the 80’s beige tones a little better.
I wanted to avoid tile painting and stenciling, as many DIYers here have been doing lately. With a 3 month old at home I didn’t like the idea of fumes and I wanted this job to be quick and set up in a couple of hours.
As a general rule, I don’t recommend putting vinyl flooring over tile if you’re doing a major renovation. I think for a sustainable floor you have to do it the “right” way. But for a quick Phase 1 fix, this is a great DIY solution that you can do until you’re ready for the messy contractor job.
So, if you want to do the same thing with some of your existing tile floors that have seen better days, here’s how we did it.
Advantages & Disadvantages Of Vinyl Plank Flooring
2. After the grout has dried for approximately 24-48 hours, any rough areas can be smoothed with a medium putty.
3. Sweep the floor and remove all debris with a dustpan because you don’t want anything floating under the vinyl floor.
4. Remove the quarter wheel and plates with a crowbar and a mallet or hammer. Here’s a post to help you out if you haven’t done it before. Once the sheet vinyl is in (if they’re in good condition), set the quarter round trim and shingles aside for reinstallation.
5. Measure all the edges around the room and draw an outline of your room on a piece of paper using those measurements. There’s never a dull moment with this guy, even on simple measuring tasks. 😉
Diy Pros: Luxury Vinyl Plank Over Existing Floors
Also include measurements of any obstructions in the room. We had already removed our old toilet (this is a great video on how to remove a toilet with a nice tip to prevent water dripping everywhere), so we measured where to cut a hole in the sheet vinyl for this.
7. Spread a sheet of vinyl and go to sleep. Just kidding. 😉 Well…we don’t blame you if you do. But at least lay out the sheet of vinyl (DO NOT lay it upside down for measuring/cutting in the next step).
8. Use your chart as a reference to mark your measurements using a tape measure on the edges of the vinyl sheet to create a pattern.
10. And cut the vinyl sheet with sharp scissors or a knife. After cutting the floor, erase the remaining chalk line (Mr. Clean Magic Erasers work great).
Unbiased Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring Review
11. Take the cut sheet of vinyl into the room and spread it out. When placing in the room, cut the remaining spots with a knife as needed.
12. Reinstall the baseboards and quarter circle using a nail gun to hold the floor edges in place. (This was according to the manufacturer’s instructions for our custom vinyl flooring, but the flooring manufacturer may require you to apply an adhesive first.)
13. Next, apply white silicone sealant to fill the cracks in the reinstalled frame. Also, attach sheet vinyl trim where it meets the shower/tub/door sill.
But in this layer, with a mix of warm and cool tones, I feel like combining blue and beige.
Can You Install Carpet Over Tile Floor?
Now the next item on the agenda is patching, some paint and installing a new toilet (since the old one had to be removed for good).
I will be painting a Benjamin Moore wrought iron door this week to match the rest of the doors in the house with a charcoal color.
When we can use this bathroom again, I’m going to hang a window shade so it’s not a show all over the place. Ha!
I’m debating whether or not to hang a long shower curtain in front of this shower door to camouflage it. What do you think? Should it be closed or left?
Things You Need To Know Before Buying Vinyl Flooring
We finally made it home here! Then we get ready to do our first major renovation elsewhere in the house, which I can’t wait to show you. Yes!!! One thing at a time. Today I’m sharing how we installed new vinyl tile flooring over existing ceramic tile, with a few easy steps to ensure it’s level. We used Golden Select vinyl on Smokey Barrel.
With the sudden and drastic change this spring with the pandemic and our spring break holidays, we decided to look for and tackle home projects. We didn’t decide to replace all the tiles in the basement because ceramic tile was laid directly under the concrete, so it seemed like a big job. But we also knew we wanted to really change and update the look in the basement, and create a consistent flooring choice throughout the space. The old tile was uneven, difficult to clean, stiff, and cold in winter. It wasn’t our choice of style or color.
In January I painted all the walls white and we added a wall of wallpaper. I also bought some area rugs to cover the strong baseboard and warm up this space, which worked well as a temporary measure.
But after we decided to redo the family room, update the ceiling, flooring and trim, the project included all the common areas and hallways in the basement.
Things To Consider Before Installing Floating Floors Over Old Tile Flooring
We bought enough Golden Select Vinyl Plank flooring (Smokey Barrel) at Costco to cover all of the basement except for the three bedrooms with carpet in good shape, all against the pandemic (and). which warms things up in the winter). We also could have ordered Golden Select online from Costco, but couldn’t wait to get started!
Before starting work, we removed the wall tiles and vacuumed and thoroughly cleaned the floors.
I purchased this premium floor patch mix at a local hardware store and mixed it according to the package directions. Since our tile has a faux slate texture, we wanted to smooth it out before installing the vinyl over the top.
I used a wide putty knife to apply the compound to the grout joints and any low areas, spreading it evenly and scraping off any excess product.
Vinyl Plank Flooring Pros And Cons
Since we installed vinyl tile in the family room, we lined up the floorboards with that door to continue the line. We laid it out first as we walked back through the family room door to figure out what width the first piece needed to be.
In the top left of the picture below, you can see where the door is open, how we lined up the boards, and how they flow down the hallway into the basement family room. Later we used a transition strip because the two rooms were slightly different heights, but we still wanted the tiles to be straight between the two rooms.
The installation went much faster than we expected because we had a few redundancies.
We encountered uneven areas, so it was important to build the floor with patch compound to make sure the vinyl tile was installed over a smooth surface. We had to do this where the floor stopped before going into the furnace/mechanical room in the basement.
Can Vinyl Plank Flooring Be Removed And Reinstalled?
We are very pleased with how easy it is to install this vinyl tile flooring (read this post for more details and installation tips).
You can also watch the video I made with our tips – the process is the same as adding (and patching if necessary) making sure the floor is completely flat when you go over an old tile floor!
No matter how much white paint I put on the walls, no matter how much I cleaned the floor before, it always looks dirty and old. Having a smooth, easy to clean, beautiful tile floor downstairs has completely transformed the basement area!
We shared how we built this exact floor over concrete
How To Install Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
Luxury vinyl plank over tile, luxury vinyl plank flooring over tile, can you install luxury vinyl over tile, installing vinyl plank over tile, vinyl plank flooring over tile, luxury vinyl plank tile, can you install vinyl plank over tile, can i install luxury vinyl plank over tile, vinyl plank over tile, install luxury vinyl plank over tile, luxury vinyl plank tile flooring, can i install vinyl plank over tile